Explore GEN family of websites, social media experiences, blogs and more.

Unleashing ideas.
Strengthening startups.

Back to search results
    Date submitted
  • 18-Feb-2016

SeaChange Technologies

Abstract

SeaChange Technologies, LLC (SeaChange) is a startup focused on solving water scarcity, purification, and disposal challenges. The SeaChange process addresses the key drawbacks of existing desalination technologies, including intensive energy requirements, polluting brine wastewater byproduct, and high maintenance costs. To enter the market, we are focused on developing a solution for oil and gas producers struggling to dispose or recycle “produced water”, a high-salinty regulated waste byproduct which is the single highest cost component of oil/gas production.

Video

Original YouTube URL: Open

Introduction Video

Additional Questions

Who is your customer?

For entry to the produced water treatment industry, SeaChange is targeting oil/gas producers and oilfield service providers.

What problem does this idea/product solve or what market need does it serve?

SeaChange Technologies is developing an innovative technology for water purification and desalination. Our systems for will address the key drawbacks of existing desalination technologies, including intensive energy requirements, polluting brine wastewater byproduct, and high maintenance costs. To enter the market, we are focused on developing a solution for oil and gas producers struggling to dispose or recycle “produced water”, a high-salinty regulated waste byproduct which is the single highest cost component of oil/gas production.

What attributes will make this idea/product successful? Why do you believe that those features will create success?

Produced water emerges from the ground with a widely varying levels of salt and other contaminants. Currently, about 10% of the US produced water is treated/recycled with existing desalination technologies. The remaining 90% is too salty/contaminated to be effectively treated by existing desalination systems, and is subject to expensive and controversial disposal well injection. SCTs product design and capability delivers value that is far superior to existing produced water management options. Our systems have the flexibility to treat high-salinity waste, offering a cost-effective alternative to deep well injection. Further, based on customer input, our systems will be designed with an option for complete evaporation or liquid production, offering an option to eliminate high-cost transportation and logistics.

Explain how you (your team) will execute to make this idea/product successful? What gives you (your team) an advantage over others already in the market or new to this market?

To commercialize in produced water treatment, SeaChange will partner with a service provider(s) that has experience this market. We have begun discussions with several key companies and are exploring options for partnership. While other competitors are using a similar strategy for market entry, SeaChange has a distinct advantage with technology that addresses the key pain points of our customers: regulatory compliance, logistical headaches, transport costs, and energy efficiency.